Friday, 30 January 2015

Motivate Your Child {Review}

Parenting is one of the hardest jobs I've ever taken on and it is also the most rewarding.  Each day brings a new challenge of it's own. 

Recently one of the things I've been struggling with is feeling like I'm constantly saying "No don't do that!" or "Why haven't you ..."  Even more frustrating is that it feels like I am constantly nagging and complaining or getting frustrated with Nathaniel.

This month I have been given the new book by Dr Scott Turansky and Joanne Miller, RN, BSN called: Motivate Your Child: A Christian Parent’s Guide to Raising Kid’s Who Do What They Need to Do Without Being Told..  It could not have come at a better time.  Encouraging practical advice that does not beat around the bush.

As I've been reading I have come to realize that I have not equipped Nathaniel with the tools and understanding to be INTERNALLY motivated. The second thing I have come to understand is that behaviour is a surface issue of a deeper heart issue.  I need to be training the heart and the fruit of that training will be in behaviour.

I also realised that I have slipped into behaviour modification training which is lazy parenting on my part and not helpful for Nathaniel either.



Motivate Your Child Covers
  • What is Internal Motivation?
  • How do we Develop it in our Children?
  • How to build a strong conscience to strengthen internal motivation
  • How faith changes kids in practical, down-to-earth ways
  • Ways to help self-focused kids think of others
  • A strategy to help kids who tend to blame, rationalize, or defend
  • Ways to use consequences for heart change
  • Specific heart-based strategies to develop responsibility and initiative I received
"Simply giving children the answer to a problem may not be as powerful as helping them reach a conclusion through guided conversation." - Motivate Your Child Page 127

The topics explored in Motivate Your Child include learning about the four promptings of the conscience, using the conscience to build internal motivation in your children, being creative as you spiritually engage your children, and helping children respond to their mistakes

The book is divided into two parts
  1. Moral Development in Children (10 Chapters)
  2. Spiritual Development in Children (11 Chapters)

Purchase the Book


Connect
You can find National Center Biblical Parenting on Facebook, Twitter, and Pinterest.

About the Authors
Scott Turansky has been a pastor and missionary for more than 33 years and is an author of several books. In addition to pastoring full time, Scott also conducts parenting seminars on Saturdays around the United States. He is the co-founder of the National Center for Biblical Parenting and has co-authored four books.

Joanne Miller is a pediatric nurse with 26 years of experience and the co-founder of the National Center for Biblical Parenting. She is the coauthor of seven parenting books.


Final Thoughts
In this book I have been encouraged to give Nathaniel the tools that he needs to become INTERNALLY motivated and fill his tool box with the things he needs in order to navigate life well. I like that each chapter has real life examples from families struggling with the same issues I am.

I highly recommend this book, the advice and encouragement is practical and timely for Christian Parents desiring to raise a Godly generation in an ungodly world.

Blessings
Chareen 



1 comment:

  1. I wish I had had a book like that relating to teens when I took on Michael's extremely unmotivated young teenage girls. To be honest, their lack of motivation was very foreign to me as my own 4 were always extremely motivated in school, sporting endeavours and life.
    I was sinking, while trying so hard to encourage Michael's girls to become self motivated to succeed in school and life. It left me feeling like a complete failure! It's been incredibly heart wrenching to watch as I truly want the best for them!

    ReplyDelete

Link Within

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...