Monday 19 January 2015

History, Geography Science for 2015

This week's Virtual Curriculum Fair hosts are
  1. Susan @ Homeschooling Hearts & Minds
  2. Stacie @ Super Mommy to the Rescue
Our topic of the week is Exploring Our World: Social Studies and more Science---includes history, geography, world cultures, worldview, biology, botany, geology, etc., etc., etc.

In last weeks post I shared our Science plans for 2015 so this week I shall share about History and Geography.
History.
"In history, a great volume is unrolled for our instruction,
drawing the materials of future wisdom 
from the past errors and infirmities of mankind.
"
Edmund Burke

 
This year we will continue reading Story of The World Volume One and using the Activity Guide which goes alongside it.

I will  also be consulting Home's Cool and choosing books from the Sonlight curriculum to read out loud from this list Sonlight Books arranged by the well trained mind 4 year cycles

 "But living history books — even historical fiction — capture the imagination while informing the mind. The reader soaks in the the facts of history in a natural and enjoyable way that forms a much stronger base of understanding than rote memorization."- Jimmie Lanely
Geography
We will continue with incidental geography.  This will happen during our history lessons.  As we read about historical happenings I shall point to the areas on the map to encourage familiarity.

I haven't decided yet upon a resource to use.  Here are a few I'm contemplating using
 I think we may continue using Expedition Earth: A Journey through God's World.

I would like to also complete  Trail Guide to World Geography  This particular package is my all time favourite.

I saw a review on Wonder Maps and really like the look of this program.  Have any of you used it or seen it ?

This year I want to learn more about a Charlotte Mason approach and enjoyed reading Jimmey's post: Teaching Geography Without Buying a Curriculum

On this Blog




 What others are saying
Please visit my fellow homeschool bloggers as they share how they explore their world with social studies and science:

It's your turn

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to hear from you so please leave your comments below ♥