In last weeks post I shared our Science plans for 2015 so this week I shall share about History and Geography.
"In history, a great volume is unrolled for our instruction,
drawing the materials of future wisdom
from the past errors and infirmities of mankind."
This year we will continue reading Story of The World Volume One and using the Activity Guide which goes alongside it.
I will also be consulting Home's Cool and choosing books from the Sonlight curriculum to read out loud from this list Sonlight Books arranged by the well trained mind 4 year cycles
"But living history books — even historical fiction — capture the imagination while informing the mind. The reader soaks in the the facts of history in a natural and enjoyable way that forms a much stronger base of understanding than rote memorization."- Jimmie LanelyGeography
We will continue with incidental geography. This will happen during our history lessons. As we read about historical happenings I shall point to the areas on the map to encourage familiarity.
I haven't decided yet upon a resource to use. Here are a few I'm contemplating using
- Charlotte Mason's Elementary Geography
- A Child's Geography (Ann Voskamp)
- The Geography Book
- Geography Songs
I would like to also complete Trail Guide to World Geography This particular package is my all time favourite.
I saw a review on Wonder Maps and really like the look of this program. Have any of you used it or seen it ?
This year I want to learn more about a Charlotte Mason approach and enjoyed reading Jimmey's post: Teaching Geography Without Buying a Curriculum
On this Blog
- Science in High School
- Science in the Junior Years
- Teaching History Revisited
- Science - How do you do it?
- My Passion: Chronological History
- Time Lines - Make Your Own Tutorial
Please visit my fellow homeschool bloggers as they share how they explore their world with social studies and science:
- Exploring World History Through the Eyes of Scientists by Susan @ Homeschooling Hearts & Minds
- Exploring Our World With Social Studies by Stacie @ Super Mommy to the Rescue
- Relaxed Homeschooling: Science and Social Studies in the Early Elementary Years by Brittney @ Mom's Heart
- Living History by Sarah @ Delivering Grace
- Classically Influenced, Project Strong, Adaptable Middle School History by Christy @ Unexpected Homeschool
- Primary Sources for Delight-Directed History by Susan @ The Every Day of Education
- Watching History, or Using Video Courses for Social Studies by Debra @ Footprints in the Butter
- Exploring our World: High School Studies of Ancient History, American Government and Economics by Laura @ Day by Day in Our World
- History, Geography, and Worldview Lessons in Our Homeschool by Jennifer @ A Glimpse of Our Life
- Our Curriculum Choices 2015 ~ Science, History & Geography by Renata @ Sunnyside Farm Fun
- Our Favorites for History, Geography, and Science by Becky @ Milo & Oats
- Globe Trotting by Lisa @ Golden Grasses
- Around The World by Michele @ Family, Faith and Fridays
- Bible-Based History Curriculum and Resources by Tauna @ Proverbial Homemaker
- 13 Living Book History Series for a Charlotte Mason Based Homeschool by Chelli @ The Planted Trees
- Social Studies and Science in Our Classical / Charlotte Mason Homeschool by Sharra @ The Homeschool Marm
- The Science Life by Laura @ Four Little Penguins
- History, Geography Science for 2015 by Chareen @ Every Bed of Roses
- History Social Studies and Science...VCF Week 3 by Denise @ Fullnest
- Learning About our World and History by Joelle @ Homeschooling for His Glory
- Taking the Mystery Out of History and Other Subjects Too With Our Favorite History Curriculum by Amy @ One Blessed Mamma
It's your turn