Monday 21 November 2011

Home Made Laundry Soap

I was over at Creating with Wisdom a few weeks ago and was inspired by Vicky who was making home made soap and thought I would like to try that but not yet.

A couple of days later I found Our Simple Country Life and Esther hosts a weekly Hearts for Home link up and there was a post in the link party titled 10 Money Saving Tips over at Hopeful Future I was intrigued so went to have a look.  One of the tips was about making your own laundry soap so decided to give it a go. Her recipe and the one I have tried is from The Family Homestead.com . Making Homemade Laundry Soap By Crystal Miller

Ingredients

  • 1/3 bar of soap (approx 50 grams) you need a pure soap not synthetic.
  • 1/2 cup Washing Soda this is the RED bag (It is not lectric soda or bicarb)
  • 1/2 cup Borax Powder (done some reading about this as we have a grey water system and the laundry water is used to water the garden so will be leaving this ingredient out in my next batch as too much can kill worms in the garden)
  • Water ( 6 cups hot water + 4 cups boiling water + 5.5 Litres cold water = 8 Lt)
I found all my items at the local Woolworths supermarket in the laundry isle.

Method
  • Measure out the borax and washing soda and set aside


  • Grate the soap into a pot 
  • Add 6 cups of hot water 




  • Heat on medium stove stir till soap is dissolved
  • Add borax and washing soda and stir till all the powder is dissolved.  When you add the powder the mix bubbles up in the pot so add it slowly.
  • Pour into a bucket
  • Add 4 cups of boiling water and mix well.  ( I did some research and another lady used cold water one day and it made the soap separate so stick with the boiling water)
  • Now add 5.5 Litres of tap water and mix well.


  • Leave it to stand over night and set.

  • Use 1/4 cup per load of washing.
The process took me 15 min to do and was not very complex.  I did find that the finer you grate the soap the faster it dissolves.

While I was searching for information I discovered a great pdf. document by by Tashia Calhoun with photo's and step by steps to down load and print: Guide to Homemade Laundry Soap


I have been using this soap for nearly a week now and I am impressed with the quality of the wash.  I was a little skeptical with the first load as there were no bubbles but the colour of the water after the wash convinced me that it works.

Other Bloggers making soap ....

Megan from over at Mommy Minded sent me a powder recipe as an alternative to liquid soap.
Julie from over at Towards Sustainability has a powder recipe which I think I will try next.
Lyn from over at Mom starting from Scratch has some interesting Green Home Making Recipe's 
Green House Healing has a great page on natural products to use at home
Vicky over at Creating with Wisdom made some soap bars.

If you have blogged about your recipe let me know and I'll add your links in here :)


The Cost Comparison:

I normally use Home brand Laundry Powder at A$3-69 for 4 kg.  The recommended dose of 125 grams per load = 12 cents per load

Home Made Laundry Soap cost me:
100 grams Borax = 86 cents
130 grams Soda = 44 cents
50 grams pure soap = 32 cents
8 litre water = 1 cent
8 Litre divided by 4 = 32 loads of washing
Total product used to make soap = $1-62 / 32 loads = 4 cents per load.

Have you made laundry soap and how well did it work for you ? I keen to see other recipes and if you know of any recipes without borax ?

My mission now is to find a better way to store my soap rather than this 8 litre container in the basin.  Ideas anyone ????

Blessings

4 comments:

  1. Interesting stuff to use. The gel like the way it sets and it seems to work. So are you going to be doing this from now on?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have a broad knowledge about how to make soap at home. Its really fun and it will enhance your creativity. Trust me I love this blog as I love making personalize soaps.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi there! Nice blog :). I'm curious if you've made this and used it a lot (WITHOUT the borax)? How did you like it w/o it? I'm looking for a homemade detergent w/o the use of borax, so I'd love to hear what you think.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hello Anon :)

    Thank you.

    I have just finished my first batch of soap. I have not made it without the borax yet.

    I will update as soon as I do and let you know how it goes. I want to leave the borax out as we use the grey water on our lawn.

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear from you so please leave your comments below ♥