Puzzles, toys and games are a multimillion dollar industry and it's growing by the day and with it often grows our confusion about what to buy and use in our home schools. Are their benefits to using / playing board games with our children ?
Some benefits of board games
- Increases critical thinking skills
- Grouping skills
- Counting skills
- Logic and reasoning skills
- Visual perception
- Fine motor skills
- 3 D thinking
- Quality Family Time
- Relieves Stress and Mental Fatigue
- Life Skills - negotiating, accepting defeat and trying again, being happy for another who is winning, etc
- Pattern recognition
- Plan ahead and reason cause and effect
- Learn from mistakes
- Improves general IQ
- The Best Homeschool Games: Disguise Learning As Fun
- The Benefits of Board Games over at Scholastic
- The Amazing Health Benefits of Board Games over at Six Wise
- Collect life lessons as you pass go over at BBC News
- Board Games for Kids: Do they make kids smarter ? over at Parenting Science
Today I would like to share my favorite games for preparing your students for the high school years and formal logic study.
Block by Block
My biggest challenge is remembering to actually take all these wonderful games out of the cupboard and using them. It seems we are always running out of time!
What are some of your favourite board games ?
- Delight Directed Instruction
- Schooling in the Kitchen
- Toy's, Games & Puzzles
- Homeschooling in a Crisis
- Hands on Projects
Don't forget to enter the Teaching Creatively Giveaway. Pop on over to Ben and Me to enter in order to win one of three prize packs. (1st prize $525 value, 2nd prize $225 value and 3rd prize $190 value)
Here are some more posts by home school moms with ideas about Toys, Games and Puzzles in your Homeschooling