Sadly I contacted Robyn (the owner of Please Don't Say Cheese Photography) to let her know I was unable to join her for the class. About two minutes later I had a letter from Robyn offering me a spot in her 8 lesson online photography workshop. To say I was excited was the understatement of the century. I had been feeling very frustrated with my photography skills and understanding of how to use my camera so this class was just what I needed.
What I received
- A 6 month membership in the 8 lesson online photography workshop.
How I used it
- I went to Please Don't Say Cheese and Signed Up.
- There is a specific members area which made finding my courses and signing in really easy to do. This area is divided up into six specific areas.
- In the Share area you will find photographs that have been uploaded by others doing the course for you to look through and learn from.
- Robyn's blog is full of tips and insights and challenges.
- At present there are two video tutorials. This area will be growing in the future as Robyn adds more video's for her students.
- In the contact Robyn area there is an online contact form. I am impressed with how promptly all my emails and queries have answered by her. Every time I have sent an email I have received a response in less than 24 hours.
- Under the My Courses Tab was a list of courses I was signed up for with a short description of each one.
|Click to see image in full screen.|
- When I click through to my specific class the top has the date that I began my course and below a beautiful image taken by Robyn there is a course status notification. Mine is currently: In Progress (thank you Robyn) from here I can click through to my lessons.
- To the right below my name there is a quick link to My Profile, My Courses, FAQ and Log Out
- Below that a status bar showing my progress through the course
- Followed by the eight lessons. These are locked when you begin the course. A new class is unlocked for you one every seven days. However you only gain access to your course content upon completion of the modules preceding it.
|Click to see image in full screen.|
- Below this is a course content. This can be expanded or collapsed depending on your preference.
- Each course starts with a 'Getting to Know you area' followed by the first lesson.
- Once you complete a lesson it is highlighted with a white tick in a green box. You can see at a glance which lessons are completed.
- Each lesson is divided into topics. As you complete a module a green button appears next to the topic.
- Robyn's mantra is "Practice" A requirement of each of her classes is participation. At the end of each module there is an assignment. Once you have submitted your photograph the next module is unlocked.
- Camera Basics (5 Modules)
- Understanding Exposure (6 Modules)
- Composition (6 Modules)
- Finding the Light (5 Modules)
- Seeing Creatively (3 Modules)
- Avoiding the Cheese (2 Modules)
- Photo Editing (3 Modules)
- At the end of the module there is a summary followed by a practical assignment for the work you have just learned.
- Once you have taken your camera and applied what you have just learned it's time to upload your results.
- After submitting your photograph to the online community it's time to look at what others are doing and share some comment love.
- Submitting your photographs also unlocks the next module in your lessons.
- An advantage of the online class submissions is that we can learn from one anothers photo taking and build friendships.
- Robyn then comes along and gives you some tips on your submitted photograph. I was a little afraid of uploading my photo's to start with. This I soon discovered was unwarranted because all feedback is always encouraging and positive. Robyn gives excellent practical advice to help me grow and improve in my skills as a photographer.
Here is a sample of a photograph I uploaded for lesson 1: topic 3: focus Activity 1
|Robyn's feed back on my submission|
Regardless of your photographic ability there is something for you in this course. I highly recommend signing up and participating. Whether you're wanting to improve your portraiture, travel or product photography this is an excellent class to participate in.
Cost** of the Workshops
- 8 module online photography workshop - (a total of 30 modules and 6 months membership) AU $167.00
- VIP membership to Please Don’t Say Cheese [Learn] - Lifetime Membership AU $392.00.
- (short course) Camera basics (for beginners)
- (short course) Understanding exposure (for intermediate photographers)
- (short course) Photo editing magic (beginners and intermediate)
Introductory special (3 days only) 50 % discount on Short Courses
- (short course) Camera basics (for beginners) AU $27
- (short course) Understanding exposure (for intermediate photographers) AU $27
- (short course) Photo editing magic (beginners and intermediate) AU $27
|Get 10 FREE tips for taking stunning photos of your children|
Connect with Robyn
Robyn also does child and family portrait sessions.
Before I started this 8 module online photography workshop I was feeling incredibly frustrated with my photography. This class is helping me to expand both my general and practical knowledge of photography. I have loved the classes I have completed and look forward to learning many more things.
My favourite piece of wisdom from the course so far is from Robyn:
"Practice, Practice, Practice:
the three things
that will make you
a better photographer!"