A few months ago all these beautiful images of Apple Roses were filling my news feed on Facebook and all I wanted was to eat one. This year I've been pursuing healthy eating using the Trim Healthy Mama plan and non of the recipe's out there were going to allow me to enjoy an Apple Rose bake. I've finally found my solution! Enter the Apple Rose Shortcake Muffin!
Shortcake Muffin Mix
- 1/2 cup of sweetener
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 2 1/2 cups old fashioned oats
- 1 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 cup 0% Greek Yogurt
- 1/2 cup egg white
- 1/2 cup sweetener blend
- 1 teaspoon Vanilla Essence
- Mix sweetener and cinnamon in a small bowl.
- Take 1/4 teaspoon of cinnamon sugar and sprinkle in the bottom of the silicon muffin trays. Enough to make 12 medium muffins.
- Grind the oats and baking powder and set aside
- Blend remaining ingredients in a blender.
- Combine wet and dry ingredients and mix well.
- Pour 1/4 cup of the mix into prepared muffin molds.
|Apple Rose inserted into muffin mix ready to bake.|
- 6 small apples
- 6 table spoons of water
- Wash and core the apples.
- Cut them in half
- Slice each half into 2 mm ( 5⁄64in) half moon slices.
- Fill a glass bowl with warm water and a dash of lemon.
- Separate and lay the apple slices in the water.
- Cover and microwave for 3 min.
- Set aside until cooked. (You can steam them too) The apples need to be soft enough to roll without breaking but not mash! Once cooked remove and drain them.
- Once your apple slices are cool enough to handle it's time to make the rose. Take the halves and create a straight line about 30 cm (12 in) long. Lay the straight edges along the bottom. The apples need to overlap by half.
- Lightly sprinkle the apples with the remaining cinnamon sweetener. This is the only tricky bit because the apples are not being held in place by pastry. Start on the left and roll them up to form a rose.
- Place them gently into the muffin tin and push them slightly into the Short Cake Muffin mix.
- Repeat until all apples are cooked and muffins prepared.
- Bake for 20 min at 180 'C (350 'F)
- Remove and allow the muffins to rest in the mold for 5 min.
- Gently remove and cool on a cooling rack.
- 1 Tablespoon of sweetener blend.
- Grind in a coffee grinder until you get a fine icing sugar consistency is reached.
- Sprinkle over cooled muffins and enjoy!
You can pin this post here:
*The recipes above are tweaked versions of original recipe's which are not THM but can be found here: