Saturday 14 February 2015

A Day in Our Lives {NBTS}

Welcome to week three of the annual Not Back to School Party, I'm co-hosting this event with Kylie over at Our WorldWide Classroom.  I love meeting new home educating families and find inspiration in knowing how their days go and what they do.  I'd love to hear more about your day.  If you have a blog please come and link up your post us and if you don't blog I would love to hear about your day in the comments.

Daily Schedules I've found to be a bit of a hotly debated topic among home educating families. There are so many opinions and some families schedules can leave you feeling overwhelmed and inadequate for the job of home education.  You can read some of my thoughts on scheduling here: Our Rhythm - Year Round Schooling and Homeschool Daily Schedules

I've done both.  I've scheduled every minute of every day and done no scheduling what-so-ever. Neither options lasted very long for us.  I've avoided writing down a schedule for Nathaniel as it seems to cause him a lot of stress if we don't do something at a scheduled time of the day. As a result I have a rough schedule in my head which is flexible around the things we need to get done or field trips we are booked into attending.  Over the last few years I have come to value Field Trips and I am appreciating more and more the impact they have on our students educational experiences.

In this way: give your a child a single valuable idea, and you have done more for his education than if you had laid upon his mind the burden of bushels of information. - Charlotte Mason

Alas I digress ...

What does our day look like ?
In an ideal world I would love to have a very strict schedule.  I also know that that is not real life.

  • We get up and share a cup of tea each morning to start our day.  On days when I need the car I take Paul to work and we have breakfast when we get home.
  • After breakfast we do a couple of household chores (generally we hang washing and unpack the dishwasher)
  • Nathaniel and I then spend some time reading read alouds
  • We have morning tea and do some seat work at the table. (Math, LA, Notebooking etc)
  • By then it's lunch time.
  • After lunch we either go to afternoon activities or we cuddle on the couch and enjoy more read aloud time together
  • Sometimes we watch documentaries on demand TV.  I prefer SBS Documentaries for these.

"Every lesson must have its own time, and no other time in this world is there for it. The sense of the preciousness of time, of the irreparable loss when a ten minutes' lesson is thrown away must be brought home." - Charlotte Mason Companion page 93

Homeschool Adventures
You can follow our day to day adventures on Instagram via ChareenR



Looking forward to reading about your days come and link up with us

Blessings
Chareen

7 comments:

  1. Thank you so much Chareen!

    Enjoying your posts so much each week...love linking. Great peek into your day/week!

    Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're welcome Chris :) I love to see what others are doing too

      Delete
  2. I love the idea of a cup of tea with the kids in the morning. What a great ritual.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I had to laugh how 'in an ideal world' and then the reality, I do indeed get that!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree Erin :) It always amazes me when I see picture perfect home schoolers but you never hear about real life living!

      Delete

I love to hear from you so please leave your comments below ♥