Sunday 22 May 2011

Education

I've been on this journey for fourteen years now and decided to research the current and past definitions for the word education. I am astonished by how much a word can change in a relatively small amount of time. In the space of 183 years the definition has become: 

  •  the act or process of imparting or acquiring particular knowledge or skills, as for a profession.
  •  the act or process of imparting or acquiring general knowledge, developing the powers of reasoning and judgment, and generally of preparing oneself or others intellectually for mature life.
  •  a degree, level, or kind of schooling
Back in Websters Dictionary of 1828 the definition was as follows:
  •  The bringing up, as of a child, instruction; formation of manners. Education comprehends all that series of instruction and discipline which is intended to enlighten the understanding, correct the temper, and form the manners and habits of youth, and fit them for usefulness in their future stations. To give children a good education in manners, arts and science, is important; to give them a religious education is indispensable; and an immense responsibility rests on parents and guardians who neglect these duties
This little exercise has reminded me of my responsibility as a parent, gaurdian and teacher of my children.  I must confess I have become rather complacent and comfortable in my little rut here in my little corner no longer reaching, growing, asking, evaluating.  I think it's time I began to grow again.


One of the first books I ever read on the topic of Homeschooling is:
For the Children's Sake by Susan Schaeffer Macaulay (first published in 1984).  This book I am pleased to say is back in print and available from
The Book Depository, Amazon and Christian Book.com
Susan challenged some of the fundamental beliefs I had and the suprising thing is I was not even aware I had them until I read the book.  For the Children's Sake has six chapters and is 158 pages. I was introduced to Charlotte Mason in this book and really loved the idea of twaddle free books. 

The idea of real books as a basis of education really apealed and still appeals to me today, and thus began my search for a curriculum that contained 'living' books.  Books that would touch our lives for years to come, books that were not dead, books that were real and did not leave us treading water going nowhere.  My goal this week is to read this book again and see what it was that impacted me so profoundly all those years ago.

Fourteen years ago I had no internet available to me, but I had the greatest resource available to me, I had enthusiastic homeschool moms and excellent books to read. 

Those were the only sources of information available to me and snail mail.  Oh the joy of receiving a thick envelope in the mail with a new catalogue.  I do so miss the feel and smell of real paper, the delight of opening an envelope that did not contain an invoice and the pleasure of a quiet cup of tea and my newly arrived homeschool resource book.  I still have a few of these books and will blog more about where you can obtain these wonderful treasures from later .

Till later my friends when I will expand upon  For the Children's sake.

2 comments:

  1. That was my very first real 'homeschooling' book, too!

    I've recently purchased Karen Andreola's Charlotte Mason's Companion. Once again, I'm nodding away with agreement as I read her along (smiles!)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I had a smile on my face reading today. It reminded me of the times I would ask you "Chareen are you studing?" and there I would find you on the bed with the study book in hand but hiding a noval in front of it and very seriously saying to me "yes mom I am!" and here you are today still reading and learning as your walk along with the watering can feeding the rose bushes that God placed in your wonderful precious care. Your heart is in the right place always making sure that your teachings are biblical based so I will leave this scripture Matthew 6:21 For where your treasure is, there will your heart be also. Found in God's wonderful word. Blessings

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear from you so please leave your comments below ♥