In my life this week…I have had so much fun using the rafflecopter to draw and announce the winners of my blog birthday giveaway.
Visiting homeschool friends and planning a birthday dinner later this month, and realising that it's only four months till we drive with my parents on an adventure to far north Queensland to see the TOTAL solar eclipse in November.
Exploring the resources available on Pinterest and discovering some great YouTube clips for a unit study on the Olympic Games.
In our homeschool this week…
- We continued with ABeka maths.
- Continued studying the life of plants and watched episode on Traveling on The Private Life of Plants.
- Finished reading Long Walk to Freedom (children's version) in our South Africa Studies. I grew up in South Africa and still learned a lot from this book. I have the original and am inspired to now read it.
- We continued reading The Story of the Olympics.
- Sir N is making good progress on reading book one in the I Can Read It! series.
- We explored the Zoo at Night.
- Went to the State Library of Victoria where we had a look at two exhibitions: Mirror of the World and The changing face of Victoria.
|Top L - built a lego Sea Shepherd R - Colouring the South African Flag|
Bottom L - Night Zoo R - Expedition Earth Passport
- 10 pieces of advice you would give to a new homeschooler Blog Hop over at Many Little Blessings.
- Deborah over at the Paper Maid has a new blog roll for you to link up with.
- Loving the Mothers we are. This is a must read for every homeschool mom you know. I think I need to read this once a month ! Short sweet to the point and deeply impacting. Here is a snippet:
One of the hardest jobs we face is learning to appreciate the mothers we are. Like thieving quilters we steal bits of other mothers, from dreams, books and playground conversations, and stitch them together into an ideal mother. We hold it up to the light and admire its colours and patterns and despair that we will ever match its splendor....
do pop on over and take a moment to finish reading this over at Handmade Homeschool. I have struggled in this area for years. My goal this year is to be true to myself.
Places we’re going and people we’re seeing…
- On Saturday we went to see Peter Rabbit's Birthday at the Clock Tower.
- Wednesday we visited with some friends for a play date.
- Thursday we joined another family to visit the State Library of Victoria. We had a great time exploring this beautiful old building.
- We also went to Werribee Open Range Zoo to explore the Zoo after dark.
My favorite thing this week was…
- Having some of my thoughts on blogging confirmed when I read Guidelines for Blogging by Keenpin' it Real. I feel so encouraged when I see the Lord answering my questions through others.
- Looking through my Sonlight Catalog and deciding what we need to purchase to upgrade my Sonlight Core B
Questions/thoughts I have…
- I am looking for bloggers who homeschool and have an "only" child. With Sir N being ten years younger than his siblings I feel like I am on this steep learning curve and looking for some support.
- Finding balance and catching up on my One Year Through the Word.
- A blog post on resources to do a unit study on the Olympic games.
- What I don't show you (and why I blog carefully) over at Small World at Home. Great article on the ethics of what you blog about.
- The Silence of Older Homeschool Moms over at Take Up and Read. An encouraging post on blogging about home schooling high schoolers.
- Parenting Boys: What Boys Need From Moms Really encouraging read for us Mom's who are home all the time with our boys.
- Rules for Blogging Like a Good Girl over at Apron Strings and Apple Trees. (Pssst confession time I struggle with this too ....)
- Gluten Free bread.
- Teaching Blog Addict. Wow what a great set of boards. If numbers are anything to judge a board by they have those with 6685 followers. They have 64 Boards and 2380 Pins. The boards are set up by Grade and subject.
- Sara Hart has 71 boards and 10 430 pins for you to have a look at.
- Penny * Arnold has 156 Boards and 6860 Pins.
I’m grateful for…
- The extra hours my husband has been given at work this week. Our car needed a service and now we have a little in the bank to take it in.
"If you are in a "lonely place" its because God is calling you to "The secret place". Its a place away from the praise band, choir, noise, and the view of man. Its the place God calls all of humanity, though very few find it...Intimate Fellowship.." - Deborah's status on Facebook.
Wow what a week ! My favourite part of this journal is linking up and reading what my new bloggy friends are all up to. Don't forget to pop on over and check out, support and encourage others on this journey.