Recently while on holiday in South Africa I asked my Mom in law to please teach me how she makes Milk Tart.
She shared with me that she makes the crusts well in advance and stores them in a cake tin for when ever she wants to make a milk tart. She either bakes them in a glass pie dish and removes and stores the crust or she bakes them in aluminium pie dishes and stores them in those.
Crust (I do not know how many this makes I think around two)
- 2 cups flour
- 2 teaspoons Baking Powder
- 1 egg
- 4 ounces butter
- 1/2 cup sugar
- Cream butter and sugar
- Beat egg well and add to mix. Mix well.
- Add dry ingredients and combine.
- Roll out and cut circle to line pie dish.
- Line pie dish(s) decorate edge with a fork.
- Prick the center
- Bake at 180'C till light brown (approx 10 Min)
Filling (This is enough filling for ONE tart)
- 2 cups Milk
- 6 teaspoons sugar
- 5 ml vanilla Essence
- 1 Tablespoon butter
- Pinch of salt
- 2 teaspoon corn flour
- 2 teaspoons flour
- 2 eggs beaten well.
- Gently heat milk in pan with sugar, vanilla, butter and salt.
- While the milk is heating, add a splash of milk to a jug and mix corn flour and flour in the jug till no lumps are present.
- Add eggs and mix well.
- Once Milk is warm and all sugar is dissolved just before it boils pour in the flour/egg mix while whisking fast.
- Return to stove and cook till it thickens.
- Pour into crust and set aside to cool for 15 min
- Sprinkle with cinnamon and place in fridge to cool down completely.
Serve cold with afternoon tea.
What dessert / afternoon tea delight do you enjoy from your country ?