Friday 24 August 2012

HSMJ - Meeting Olympic Athletes

In my life this week…
I have decided to tackle my weight issues and take control.  In one sense I am pleased to have had this struggle as it's given me a deeper appreciation for others who have and are struggling to loose baby weight or life in general weight.
Up until the last ten years or so I could eat anything I wanted but no more. I have gone up and down the same 10 kg for the last five years and find that really frustrating.  I have 25 kg (60 pounds) to loose and my health to regain. So beginning next week I want to add in a weight loss and exercise check to my run down.
In our homeschool this week…
  • We took a trip to Federation Square to meet Australian Olympic Athletes.
  • Started reading A Little Princess.
  • We are working on the character trait of listening in the little book: Get Wisdom.
  • Time! We spent the day learning about time and analog clocks.  What a complicated business with a little person who listens and tries to improve upon the design as you try to explain!  We will persevere.
  • We are working on place value in maths.  I found this great iPad MontessoriTech Stamp Game app I can't use and am now trying to find one that will show place value for my android.
Helpful homeschooling tips or advice to share…
Finding Free Kids' eBook the No Twiddle Twaddle Way
I am inspired by…
  • Leader Boy Warrior who wrote this excellent post titled Spring is coming.  Please pop on over and be encouraged by this young homeschooler.
  • Reading Jo's post: Back to our regular scheduled program - homeschooling again! I needed this. I've had these crazy panic attacks this week about homeschooling Sir N as an only child. It's one thing to homeschool two or more children but let me tell you it's a totally different ball game raising and homeschooling an "only" child. Jo's insight and sharing of her families experience has reaffirmed my our choice. The best part is him saying he wants to be homeschooled.  Thank you Jo your heart has lifted mine!
Places we’re going and people we’re seeing…
  • Saturday
  • Sunday
  • Monday
  • Tuesday we did our trip to Kelly Sports. We also visited Granny, had a hair cut and took Miss J for a trial at a coffee shop.  I'm shocked at how low wages are for teens these days.  Pure usury.
  • Wednesday took a trip to Melbourne Federation Square to meet our Olympic Athletes.
  • Thursday make up lesson at swimming.
  • Friday We are celebrating a friends baby boys first birthday. We are also going out to dinner courtesy of my husbands work to celebrate the ROAR (Recognising Outstanding Achievement and ) award that Paul won.

My favorite thing this week was…
Meeting the Olympians of 2012 from Victoria.
Things I’m working on…
  • Contemplating our curriculum and learning outcomes for next year.  Our school year only starts in January but with all my American friends speaking about curriculum my appetite is well and truly whet.
  • Not this weekend but next is Fathers Day so I've been happily pinning ideas on Pinterest and thinking about what to do with my kids for the Daddy in this house!
In bloggy world I’m reading…
On my bedside table ...
I’m cooking…
  •  I am trying to cook healthy this week.  So far I have managed two meals out of five.
On Pinterest I found...

I’m grateful for…
  •  Friends who own books and are happy to loan them to me. I have really enjoyed the Chronicles of Hugh de Singleton.
A photo, video, link, or quote to share…
“Whatever comes," she said, "cannot alter one thing. If I am a princess in rags and tatters, I can be a princess inside. It would be easy to be a princess if I were dressed in cloth of gold, but it is a great deal more of a triumph to be one all the time when no one knows it.”
Frances Hodgson Burnett,
A Little Princess 
 Blessings

Chareen





This post is linking to:
Weird, Unsocialized Homeschoolers
iHomeschool

2 comments:

  1. This looks like a productive week! And how awesome is it to meet Olympic medalists?!?! That is such a memorable day for your family, and truly an honor to hold onto. Thanks for sharing!

    I'm reading from ajoyfulmess.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Chareen, I want to encourage you in your weight loss program:) You can do it! Things might not go without a hitch but stay focused on your goal and in prayer daily about it. I lost 65 pounds after my youngest was born. Blessings!!

    Love that you met Olympians! My girls would be so thrilled. I also love the quote from The Little Princess- definitely one of our favorite books here:)

    Off to check out the list of free books...thanks for the resource.

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear from you so please leave your comments below ♥