TOS magazine is open access, which means it is available for free to everyone through a FREE app on your Apple, Kindle , Android device or PC.
I've spent a delightful evening exploring the website and seeing just what is available to you when you subscribe to Schoolhouse Teachers.com. I am impressed with the simplicity of the layout and ease of site navigation. You don't need a degree to find your way around. The tabs at the top are arranged for ease of access. You can search for information by specific grade ( Pre K - Elementary, Middle School, High School), Family, Dailies, Extras, Samples, Library or meet the teachers creating the content. Each tab has a drop down menu with subject specific links.
- For a limited time you can trial Schoolhouse Teachers for the first month for $1.
- After your trial you have the option of a monthly subscription of $5.95 (via Pay Pal) or you can purchase a one year discounted membership for $64.26
- Non obligation cancellations are available at anytime.
- Are you a HSLDA member ? You can receive a 1 year subscription for FREE.
- FREE 1 Year membership (NEW) for Active, Retired and Reserve United States Armed Forces (Offer expires 31 December 2012)
What do you get with your membership ?
- Member only access to lesson materials in all subjects listed below
- A new daily activity each morning covering over 13 subject areas.
- The Old Schoolhouse Magazine delivered straight to your inbox.
- All The Old Schoolhouse Magazine digital back issues
- Download all five Schoolhouse Planners
- All TOS E Books, unit studies during your 12 month membership.
- All available TOS Expo-To-Go recorded sessions and future sessions for the duration of your membership.
- New teachers and subjects as they are added.
Subjects (Sample pages)
Click on any of these links to meet the teacher, read a course overview and upcoming lessons. Each page has a key (PK, K, E, M, HS) in the top right hand corner corresponding with which school levels are covered.
- Asia - Bonnie Rose Hudson
- Career Exploration - Carol Topp
- Chemistry - Joey Hajda
- Classical History - Jennifer Courtney
- Classics-Based Writing - Janice Campbell
- Economics - Mark Sims
- Elementary Literature Kits - Lisa Duffy
- Figures in History - Cathy Diez-Luckie
- French - Greg Shone
- Film-making - George Escobar
- Geography - Terri Johnson
- Beginning Guitar - Jerry Jennings
- History - Diana Waring
- Home Economics - Malia Russell
- Lapbooking - Kimm Bellotto
- Literature - Adam Andrews
- Logic - Lisa Duffy
- Elementary Math - Dr. Peter Price
- High School Math - David Chandler
- Media Socialization - Dr. Lisa Dunne
- Mock Trial - Deborah Burton
- Monthly Reading List* - Michelle Miller
- Music - Voice* - Joy Sikorski
- Reading Lessons - Matthew Glavach
- Special Needs / Struggling Learners - Judi Munday
- Worldviews - Dr Alex McFarland
- Writing - Kim Kautzer
- Weekly Science Experiments by "Mr Science" - Jason Lindsey
Schoolhouse Dailies to your regular curriculum or mix and match to suit your need. Under this tab you will find a full list of daily lessons available to you
- Everyday Games
- Everyday Astronomy
- Copy work
- Explorers (USA, Canada, Australia/New Zealand)
- Schoolhouse Spelling (Pre-K/K, lower elementary, and upper elementary.,grade levels 6th through 8th & high school)
- Writing prompts
- Everyday Easels
- This Day in History
- This months Menu
- Any and ALL The Old Schoolhouse Magazines dating back to 2007
- A monthly FREE TOS E-Book
- Webinaar recordings
- All five Schoolhouse Planners (US$125 value)
- Something NEW each week.
- If you monetise your site there is an affiliate program available
Here you can find pdf lessons to sample in the following subject areas
- Schoolhouse Expo
- Writing Lesson
- High School Math lesson
- Figures in History lesson
- Music Lesson
- Daily Unit Study
- Everyday Explorers history lesson
- Summer Shakespeare lesson
- I am impressed with the quality and range of materials available. Coming from Australia you don't often see subject specific areas for our area on US based websites. I was pleased to find specific areas just for us.
- The lessons are concise and easy to access.
- The lessons I chose to use were short enough to fit in with my current 15 minute lesson plan as I am trying to follow a Charlotte Mason approach this year.
- I am looking forward to using some of the archived lessons as we start up our new year after Christmas.
- If a teacher recommended a web resource it was linked and I did not need to go looking for it.
- Each lesson had a PDF file for me to download.
- We had a play around the Weekly Science experiment area where we enjoyed one minute science lesson YouTube lessons. (Hooked On Science) Sir N loved watching the clips and the pdf's had an excellent step by step and concise explanation explaining the science behind the experiment. I was impressed with how the clips were related to everyday life.
- The library of lessons is well laid out and I am impressed that nearly ALL the lessons since the sites debut in March are archived in the library area.
- It contains daily, weekly and monthly lessons and plans, which are all in one place making it so much easier to access and less time is spent on the net sourcing information.
- Teachers gave multiple resources so I was not locked into one specific book which I 'had' to buy in order to follow the program. For example in the classical history Jennifer used four different books (Classical Conversations, Kingfisher History Encyclopedia, Streams of Civilization and Victory Journey Through the Bible) in which she also referenced page numbers.
- Cynce's Place by Cynthia Albright.
- At Home and School by Susan Raber
- 2013 The Oldschool House Review Crew
- What is Schoolhouse Teachers.com by Marcy over at The Oldschool House Review.
- 105 different reviews by the 2012 TOS crew.
- Home Sweet Life by Carol.
- Bow of Bronze by Amy
This post contains NO affiliate links.
Disclaimer: I received a free copy of this product through the Schoolhouse Review Crew in exchange for my honest review. I was not required to write a positive review nor was I compensated in any other way. All opinions I have expressed are my own or those of my family. I am disclosing this in accordance with the FTC Regulations.