Due to Asperger's Syndrome Nathaniel has been struggling in the area of language arts and spelling is an area we have been working on. I recently discovered that Nathaniel learns best with short lessons, copy work and with clear instructions. I heard about Phonetic Zoo Spelling Level A [Starter Set] and I was very keen to try it.
You can watch Andrew Pudewa's introduction to Spelling Zoo on YouTube.
What we received
- Spelling and the Brain video Seminar
- 5 audio CD's containing 47 lessons, answer keys and 6 final exams
- Lesson Cards
- Personal Spelling Cards
- Zoo Cards
- Phonetic Zoo Teacher Notes (PDF file) 3.93 MB. This manual is 76 pages long and contains: How to notes, an introduction to Phonetic Zoo, short lesson notes for each lesson and Appendices.
How we used it
After downloading the Teachers Manual I printed it off and followed took some time to read through the notes in the beginning. I found these notes particularly helpful as they explain the reasons behind the method.
Spelling Zoo uses a multi-sensory approach to teach spelling and has it's foundations in Mrs. Anna Inghams Blended Sound-Sight Program of Learning. The explanations of basic neurophysiology deepened my understanding of the processes involved in learning to spell and helped reinforce the method.
Nathaniel looked over the spelling rule and column A of the spelling words. I had him read the rule to me and explained what it meant in relation to the words he was learning. We put aside the card and took out a book with plain lined paper.
The next step was for him to do on his own. He started listening to the audio. Track one explains to the student how the program works. Track two was the first lesson. The spelling rule is recited followed by a spelling practice run.
- Hearing the word to be learned in context of a sentence
- Writing the word.
- Once all the words are written the student is required to mark their own work. The process involves: hearing the word, hearing the spelling of the word, crossing out the incorrectly spelled word and writing it the correct way.
|Front of Personal Spelling Reward Cards|
|Back of Personal Reward Spelling Cards|
- On the front:A picture of an animal whose name follows the spelling rule and the title of the spelling rule
- On the back: The lesson number, rule title and hint poem to help the student remember the rule.
|Front: Lesson Card One|
|Back Lesson Card One|
Cost of Phonetic Zoo Level A*
- CD with Printed Materials $99.00
- Download, $79.00
** I.E.W. is available for purchase internationally. Find your nearest distributor here.
- Grades 3 - 5
- Special Education
- English Learners
- Level A (primary)
- Level B (intermediate)
- Level C (highest)
- Getting started with The Phonetic Zoo
- How to use Spelling Zoo
- About the 100 % refund Guarantee
- Spelling Zoo Placement Test
Connect with IEW
I am very impressed with Spelling Zoo. It has removed the stress of me having to daily repeat the spelling I am teaching to Nathaniel. Spelling Zoo has been a good fit for Aspergers because each and every day is identical. The results are measurable each day and he has immediate feedback on his personal progress. There is no pressure because he is working against himself and his own ability.