I've been thinking about this quote of late and thinking about what the word has to say on this subject and realise that he is quite right.
Education is not a subject and it does not deal in subjects.
It is instead the transfer of a way of life."
- G. K. Chesterton
And you shall teach them to your children, speaking of them when you sit in your house and when you walk along the road, when you lie down and when you rise up. (Deut 11:19)
I have been evaluating our way of life, and deciding exactly what I want to transfer to my rose Sir N. It is amazing what happens when we sit back and take an inventory.
- I have allowed the Butler Television to supervise Sir N far too much during the week along with Sir DVD player.
- I once again have lapsed into allowing him to think he is the center of the universe and needs his every care seen to immediately....
- Room time has disappeared somewhere over the horizon (need to retrieve it soon)
- Too much indoor time and not enough going for walks for the pleasure of being out together
- Allowing him to choose and dictate rather than me being director of operations
- Chores ( I think it's best we don't go there ....)
What way of life are you transferring to your family ? What values are you subtly conveying to those in your charge ?
PS: I have created a current reading list tab and Curriculum tab for you to see what I am planning to do over the next 18 months with Sir N and which books we are using from our home library, Sonlight, friends and the library.