Wednesday 26 October 2011

A Garden Project

We started with a garden of weeds ..........


This is what I saw whenever I walked out my front door.  :'(  and with spring here in full swing I really wanted to do something positive about it. 

In September we attended the Sustainability Expo where we were given three native bush plants courtesy of the City Council.  Fragrant Saltbush (Rhagodia Parabolica), Blue Flax-Lily (Dianella Revoluta) and Austral Indigo (Indigofera Australis) and I had plenty of good intentions of planting them out within the week. 

One month later and D-Day arrived today when we got home after a very BUSY day.  Firstly we gathered all our things


Daddy helped us to get some compost from the compost bin out back, it was great being able to finally show Sir N what becomes of all those scraps he keeps having to ferry to the compost bin. Next we added Thrive fertilizer and dug it through the soil.

Sir N was not happy at all about having to do prep work! Have to work on ATTITUDE around here. Working with a happy attitude is not that easy and from the conversations with my friends it comes with the territory of being six years old.

Then we did the fun part planting our seedlings



Today we planted Fragrant Saltbush (Rhagodia Parabolica), Blue Flax-Lily (Dianella Revoluta) and Austral Indigo (Indigofera Australis). Along the back we planted a row of Cosmos (These are my Mom's favourite flowers. I must confess I love the blooms too they remind me of Africa where they grew wild along some roads and would have the most beautiful show in April.), Lobelia and some carrot seeds.

Mmmm this watering can is a little heavy....


Now when I come out my front door I see .....


I am looking forward to the day when they have all grown and are in full bloom.

When ever I do little projects like this with Sir N I am reminded of what my friend Mrs S used to say to me:  " You can credit card parent OR you can savings account parent! it's up to you what results you want." 
Credit card parenting is so much easier.  You do it all yourself there is no training, very little time "wasted" but boy the interest you gain in a lazy child is not worth it in the long run.
 Savings account schooling takes time as you spend a long time preparing, coaching, checking up on them and working on attitude and the positive returns are really worth all the extra time it takes to do things now.

Galatians6:8-10 8 For he who sows to his own flesh (lower nature, sensuality) will from the flesh reap decay and ruin and destruction, but he who sows to the Spirit will from the Spirit reap eternal life.
 9 And let us not lose heart and grow weary and faint in acting nobly and doing right, for in due time and at the appointed season we shall reap, if we do not loosen and relax our courage and faint.
10 So then, as occasion and opportunity open up to us, let us do good [[a]morally] to all people [not only [b]being useful or profitable to them, but also doing what is for their spiritual good and advantage]. Be mindful to be a blessing, especially to those of the household of faith [those who belong to God's family with you, the believers].

So my friends do not grow weary as you train your children at home.

Blessings

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to hear from you so please leave your comments below ♥