Saturday 24 December 2011

12 Days of Christmas

I love the words and tune of the 12 Days of Christmas.  I discovered the meaning behind the phrases and wanted to share them with you. The twelve days of Christmas begin on Christmas day and end on Twelfth Night — January 5th, the night before Epiphany

Graphic from: Fresh Plans
Definitions of the Phrases
My true love-......... God
gave to me-......... any person in Christ
a Partridge in a pear tree-......... Jesus on the cross
2 turtle doves- ......... Old and New testaments
3 French hens-......... faith, hope and charity
4 calling birds-......... the 4 gospels
5 golden rings-......... the first 5 books of Old Testament
6 geese-a-......... laying- the 6 days of Creation
7 swans-a-swimming-......... 7 gifts of the Holy Spirit
8 maids-a-milking-......... 8 beatitudes
9 ladies dancing-......... 9 fruits of the Holy Spirit
10 Lords-a-leaping-......... 10 commandments
11 pipers piping-......... 11 faithful disciples
12 drummers drumming-......... 12 points of belief in the Apostles Creed

While I was surfing looking for information on The 12 Days of Christmas I discovered: Fresh Plans Engaging learning tools for the modern K-12 classroom. I discovered a post by Rebecca titled: The Twelve Days of Christmas which contains a large variety of information and links.  She also has a few posts about Christmas around the world.



Blessings

2 comments:

  1. That sure gives a new meaning to this song!

    Wishing you a Blessed Christmas :)
    Collette

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you so much for sharing this. I had heard it years ago but could not find it again. Pinning on my Christmas board :) :)

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear from you so please leave your comments below ♥