|The guard at the entrance to the Carousel Park|
|I loved the pictures on this one.|
So yesterday we went for a trip to Melbourne Zoo where all 50 Mali statues are currently on display in front of the Carousel Park. We took some time to look at them as they will be auctioned off on 17-18 October at the Carousel Park.
If you would like to see some great close ups and detail photography of each elephant, Fresh Photography has three pages of photos of Mali in Melbourne.
- Elephants in Melbourne - Pictures of Mali! (20 Mali's)
- Elephant Sculptures in Melbourne - Pictures of Mali Part II (15 Mali's)
- Melbourne's Elephant Art - Pictures of Mali Part III (15 Mali's)
YouTube has some great clips:
- Mali in the City by Melbourne Zoo (1:39)
- "Elephantasy" Time Lapse painting. (2:08)
- Graeme Base unveils the First Mali in the City Sculpture.
- "Neo-Composite Elephant" Time Lapse by Jacqueline Gwynne. (9:57)
Around the Carousel are another 55 mini Mali elephant statues that were decorated by students at schools around Victoria. These will be returned to their origins for permanent displays.
We had a wonderful time exploring these sculptures and seeing the variety of ideas expressed were great.
These are my top three: