To start the evening the sun painted the most spectacular sunset behind us
We were disappointed as we gazed out over Port Philip Bay in Melbourne as there was a large bank of clouds across the bay. But still we hoped that the prevailing wind would clear it in time for us to see the Blood Moon. Paul and Sir N set up their camera's on tripods and I scanned the horizon using my phone app The Night Sky.
|There's the moon just below the horizon|
|Preparing to capture the Blood Moon|
We waited patiently and then all of a sudden there before us. Unfortunately not very clear due to the cloud cover.
|Blood Moon with Mars to the left and Melbourne lights below over Port Philip Bay|
We watched for another hour as the red faded and was replaced by the suns rays of light reflected back at us.
|The Blood Moon is fading as the moon reflection returns|
|Almost half way back|
|Just over half way|
|Three quarters back|
|Just a smidgen to go|
|The moon in her full glory reigning over the night sky|
Here are two of Sir N's captures
|Taken by Sir N|
|Taken by Sir N|
For more information
- There's A 'Blood Moon' - A Lunar Eclipse At Sunset Tonight In Australia. Here's How And When To See It
- What is a Lunar Eclipse ? by Monkey See great explanation about lunar eclipse for children.
- How Does a Lunar Eclipse Work?
- NASA Understanding Lunar Eclipses
- Marine Corps Nomads has a FULL photo story of the complete Lunar Eclipse: Blood Moon April 2014
The next lunar eclipses will be
- 8 October 2014 (Melbourne viewing times full eclipse is at 9:27 pm)
- 4 April 2015 (Melbourne viewing times full eclipse is at 11:00 pm)
- 17 September 2015
- 29 April 2014 (Melbourne viewing times full eclipse is at 4:04 pm)
Did you see the blood Moon last night ? If you did what did you think ? If you blog and shared some pictures please leave me a link I'd love to see your photographs.