Monday 21 July 2014

Google Plus Basics {Resource List to get you started}

For a while now I've had a Google Plus profile but have had no idea why or what really to do with it until this week. I was recently challenged to find out more about Google Plus.  I'm so glad that I did.

It all started when I watched a YouTube clip and grew from there.  

So how does a Google+ post differ from a Facebook post ?
There are a few differences in how you post to Facebook verses Google +.

Dustin Stout shares a great tip page on the Anatomy of a Perfect Google+ post that is well worth taking a look at. He has a great info graphic for you to download for reference.

So How Do You Post on Google+ ?
I started off by watching a YouTube interview with Jimmie Lanley.  During this interview I learned a few of the ins and outs of Google+ for bloggers and just why we should be using Google+.

I discovered this list of tips called:  How to Post on Google+

Ultimate Google Plus Posting Guide
Want to Increase Social Signals?
Link Litter Makes Me Wanna Puke a Little
6 Ways a Formatted Google+ Post Will Increase Engagement and Interest
Why Keep Promoting the Fake Mystery of Online Content?
Five Easy Steps to Bake the Perfect Google+ Post
How To Create The Perfect Google+ Post
Google+ Posting Guide [Infographic]
The Anatomy of a Perfect Google+ Post
This Changes Everything: Social Signals, Your Website, and Google+
Pro Tip: The Proper Way to Share Your Post! Great YouTube clip on post structure.

So What's with the +1 and Sharing on Google+?
Dustin Stout decided to do an experiment along with a few friends to find out the impact of +1's and sharing on Google Plus and how this relates to his blog's content.

This Changes Everything {Social Signals, Your Website, and Google+} is an interesting read and gives you a better understanding of why and how to plus one and share.

Should you tick that box ??
Mark Vang shares a concise what Not to do on Google+ called: The easiest way to get BLOCKED on Google+

Too Many Emails!
Anthony Idle has a good walk through YouTube clip showing you how to stop all those emails from flooding your inbox.

Google+ University
Google+ University

A good place to begin your Google+ education if you are an information geek is with Mike Alton.

He has started the Google+ University post. Mike has divided up the links into the following topics:


Introduction to Google+
Getting Around the Plus
Growing Your Bussiness
Advanced Plussing
Tools & Comunities
Google Authorship

I am still working my way through the links but so far I've learned what I've wanted to know.


More Links to Info on Google+ ?


What about the Cover?
If you prefer to use a template when making a cover photo Google Plus For You has a free one available.

What about a Hover Card ?
This is your calling card and your first impression announcement when people hover with their mouse over your name.   Here is a walk through on Editing and the anatomy of your Hover Card.


What about Images ?
Google + is mainly an image driven network.  We visually feast with our eyes on this platform.  Matthew Shuey shares a great post on Best Practices For Sharing Images on Google+

Google Plus Etiquette
  • Be very careful of accidentally becoming a spammer on Google+ avoid link litter and circle sharing.
  • Use the plus key on your keyboard and tag the person whose content you are sharing.

It's been a fun week unwrapping Google Plus.  I will be updating this post with links and information as I learn more so be sure to come back.

Looking forward to meeting you on Google Plus



11 comments:

  1. Great tips! I'm following one of your shared links next. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Jennifer :) The more I use it the more I'm beginning to enjoy it :)

      Delete
  2. I've just started to read through the links. This looks really helpful. I need to sit down and read these carefully when I'm not standing at the swimming pool!

    ReplyDelete
  3. First up -- how to stop the emails. :) I don't know what I clicked! Thanks for the help!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're welcome Meg. That was the first thing I did. They drove me crazy

      Delete
  4. This is very useful and I will be spending time working through it...I have google + but really just don't know what to do with it. LOL!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That makes two of us. Looking forward to learning more

      Delete
  5. Omigosh so much to learn! Thanks for this :)

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear from you so please leave your comments below ♥